Purchase taxes

As a general rule, buyers should set aside an extra 10-15% on top of the agreed sale price to pay for taxes arising from the sale.

When a property is sold in Spain, the buyer pays most of the taxes and costs. These can be divided into: taxes due to your local Town Council (Ayuntamiento) and the Spanish Tax Agency (Hacienda).

Municipal tax on the increase in the value of land (Plusvalía)

By law, vendors are required to pay this tax but, if both parties agree, buyers can accept to pay it on the vendor’s behalf. Some vendors try to insist buyers pay, but there is no obligation to do so.  If the buyer is getting a particularly good deal, he or she may choose to pay but, in general, we do not recommend clients do this.

The amount due depends on the cadastral value of the land at the time of sale and the length of the vendor’s ownership. The taxable base is calculated as a percentage of the cadastral value, varying from 3% to 3.7%. The tax rate varies from municipality to municipality and is set by the local Town Council, subject a maximum rate of 30%.

Taxes on resale property

If you buy a previously occupied property from a private individual, you are required to pay Transfer Tax (Impuesto de Transmisiones Patrimoniales) to the Spanish Tax Agency, levied on a sliding scale, depending on the sale price:

  • 8% up to 400,000€
  • 9% from 400,000.01 to 700,000€
  • 10% over 700,000.01€

Parking spaces (when sold separately from a dwelling or, if sold together, when more than two spaces are sold at the same time) are taxed in line with a separate scale:

  • 8% up to 30,000€
  • 9% from 30,000.01 to 50,000€
  • 10% over 50,000.01€

Joint owners can benefit from a potential discount because, although the same rates of tax apply, the taxable base of the purchase price is calculated in proportion to ownership.

For a property costing 750,000€, the amount of Transfer Tax due is as follows:

Sole purchaser

  • 8% of the first 400,000€ = 32,000€
  • 9% of the next 300,000 € (from 400,000.01 € to 700,000 €) = 27,000€
  • 10% of the remaining 50,000 € (from 700.000.01 to 750,000€) = 5,000€

TOTAL 64,000€

Joint purchasers (for example, a couple who each buy 50% of the property):

  • Owner 1: 8% of 375,000€ = 30,000€
  • Owner 2: 8% of 375,000€ = 30,000€

TOTAL 60,000€

Taxes on new property

If you buy a residential property that has never been occupied and is being sold for the first time, you are required to pay value-added tax (Impuesto de Valor Añadido, IVA) at a rate of 10% of the sale price. In addition, you have to pay Stamp Duty (Impuesto sobre Actos Jurídicos Documentados, AJD), at a rate of 1.5% of the sale price, making a total of 11.5%.

Taxes on plots and commercial property

If you buy a plot of land or commercial property, you are required to pay value-added tax at a rate of 21% of the sale price. In addition, you have to pay Stamp Duty, at a rate of 1.5% of the sale price, making a total to 22.5%.

Mortgage taxes

If you buy either a resale or new property in Spain with a mortgage, you are required to pay Stamp Duty, at a rate of 1.5%, on the principal loan, together with any costs and interest levied in the case of non-payment.

Withholding tax

If you buy a resale property from a non-resident seller, you are required to retain 3% of the agreed price and deposit the sum with the Spanish Tax Agency within one calendar month of the date of signature of the public title deed. If this is not complied with, the Spanish Tax Agency will hold the property, and the buyer, liable for the retention (i.e. 3% of the agreed price).

Fiscal arrears

All taxes arising from the sale of a property in Spain must be paid within 30 days of the date of signature of the public title deed. If not complied with, buyers will be charged an additional 20% in fines and interest on top of the amount owed.


Properties for sale

New Listing Estepona, Beachfront 5th-floor luxurious apartment awash in natural light and with expansive sea views for sale in Santa Ana, Estepona centre

Beachfront 5th-floor luxurious apartment awash in natural light and with expansive sea views for sale in Santa Ana, Estepona centre

Ref. TMXA11131

  • 3 beds
  • 3 baths
  • 245 m² built
  • 25 m² terrace

Perfectly positioned frontline beach, this 5th-floor apartment showcases an elegant, open floor plan and spectacular unobstructed views spanning from the Estepona promenade across to North Africa with the...

1,950,000 €
New Listing Estepona, Seafront luxurious penthouse with large solarium, jacuzzi and boundless sea views for sale in Santa Ana, Estepona centre

Seafront luxurious penthouse with large solarium, jacuzzi and boundless sea views for sale in Santa Ana, Estepona centre

Ref. TMXA11132

  • 3 beds
  • 3 baths
  • 164 m² built
  • 83 m² terrace

Perfectly positioned frontline beach, this elegant penthouse showcases an open concept floor plan and superb unobstructed views spanning from the Estepona promenade across to North Africa and Gibraltar with...

2,290,000 €
New Listing Marbella Golden Mile, Large level plot enjoying sea views with project and license for sale in the prestigious Cascada de Camojan, Marbella Golden Mile

Large level plot enjoying sea views with project and license for sale in the prestigious Cascada de Camojan, Marbella Golden Mile

Ref. TMXP0705

  • 5.500 m² plot

One of the best and last plots in the ultra-exclusive Cascada de Camojan, this spectacular 5,500m2 level site is nestled in a premier location surrounded by panoramic mountain and sea views. The plot offers...

7,500,000 €

Exclusive to Terra Meridiana

New Listing Marbella Golden Mile, Exceptional plot with project overlooking the Mediterranean coastline in the ultra-exclusive neighbourhood of Camojan, Marbella Golden Mile

Exceptional plot with project overlooking the Mediterranean coastline in the ultra-exclusive neighbourhood of Camojan, Marbella Golden Mile

Ref. TMXP0704

  • 3.000 m² plot

Nestled in the foothills of the iconic La Concha mountain, this large 3,000m2 plot remains one of the few in this area that is still undeveloped. Boasting endless possibilities the land is being sold as a...

3,800,000 €